Saturday 24 January 2009

Macedonia in the Bible

For those who know history, there is no doubt whatsoever that Macedonia is Greek. The same is true for those who know the New Testament. The Apostle Paul wrote two letters to Thessalonians and one to Philippians, i.e. to Christians living in the Greek cities of Thessaloniki and Philippi. Here are some Bible references to Macedonia, which should convince even the sceptics that Macedonia is Greek:

"And a vision appeared to Paul in the night: There was a man of Macedonia standing, beseeching him, and saying, Come over into Macedonia, and help us. And when he had seen the vision, straightway we sought to go forth into Macedonia, concluding that God had called us to preach the gospel to them. Setting sail therefore from Troas, we made a straight course to Samothrace, and the day following to Neapolis;and from thence to Philippi, which is a city of Macedonia, the first of the district, a Roman colony: and we were in this city tarrying certain days." (Acts16: 9-12)

"But when Silas and Timothy came down from Macedonia, Paul was constrained...
by the word, testifying to the Jews that Jesus was the Christ. And when they opposed themselves and blasphemed, he shook out his raiment and said unto them, Your blood be upon your own heads; I am clean: from henceforth I will go unto the Gentiles." (Acts 18: 5-6)

"Now after these things were ended, Paul purposed in the spirit, when he had passed through Macedonia and Achaia, to go to Jerusalem, saying, After I have been there, I must also see Rome.And having sent into Macedonia two of them that ministered unto him, Timothy and Erastus, he himself stayed in Asia for a while." (Acts 19: 21-22)

"And the city was filled with the confusion: and they rushed with one accord into the theatre, having seized Gaius and Aristarchus, men of Macedonia, Paul's companions in travel." (Acts 19:29)

"And after the uproar ceased, Paul having sent for the disciples and exhorted them, took leave of them, and departed to go into Macedonia. And when he had gone through those parts, and had given them much exhortation, he came into Greece. And when he had spent three months there, and a plot was laid against him by Jews as he was about to set sail for Syria, he determined to return through Macedonia.
And there accompanied him as far as Asia, Sopater of Beroea, the son of Pyrrhus; and of the Thessalonians, Aristarchus and Secundus; and Gaius of Derbe, and Timothy; and of Asia, Tychicus and Trophimus." (Acts 20:1-4)

"For Macedonia and Achaia have been pleased to make some contribution for the poor among the saints at Jerusalem." (Romans 15:26 )

 "I will visit you after passing through Macedonia, for I intend to pass through Macedonia..."
(1 Corinthians 16:5)

"I wanted to visit you on my way to Macedonia, and to come back to you from Macedonia and have you send me on my way to Judea." (2 Corinthians 1:16)

"My spirit was not at rest because I did not find my brother Titus there. So I took leave of them and went on to Macedonia." (2 Corinthians 2:13 )

"For even when we came into Macedonia, our bodies had no rest, but we were afflicted at every turn--fighting without and fear within." (2 Corinthians 7:5)

"We want you to know, brothers, about the grace of God that has been given among the churches of Macedonia..." (2 Corinthians 8:1)

"Now it is superfluous for me to write to you about the ministry for the saints, for I know your readiness, of which I boast about you to the people of Macedonia, saying that Achaia has been ready since last year. And your zeal has stirred up most of them. 
But I am sending the brothers so that our boasting about you may not prove vain in this matter, so that you may be ready, as I said you would be. Otherwise, if some Macedonians come with me and find that you are not ready, we would be humiliated--to say nothing of you--for being so confident." (2 Corinthians 9:1-4)

"And when I was with you and was in need, I did not burden anyone, for the brothers who came from Macedonia supplied my need. So I refrained and will refrain from burdening you in any way.As the truth of Christ is in me, this boasting of mine will not be silenced in the regions of Achaia..." (2 Corinthians 11: 9-10)

"And you Philippians yourselves know that in the beginning of the gospel, when I left Macedonia, no church entered into partnership with me in giving and receiving, except you only. Even in Thessalonica you sent me help for my needs once and again." (Philippians 4:15-16)

"And you became imitators of us and of the Lord, for you received the word in much affliction, with the joy of the Holy Spirit,
so that you became an example to all the believers in Macedonia and in Achaia.For not only has the word of the Lord sounded forth from you in Macedonia and Achaia, but your faith in God has gone forth everywhere, so that we need not say anything." (1 Thessalonians 1: 6-8)

"Now concerning brotherly love you have no need for anyone to write to you, for you yourselves have been taught by God to love one another,for that indeed is what you are doing to all the brothers throughout Macedonia. But we urge you, brothers, to do this more and more..." (1 Thessalonians 4: 9-10)

"As I urged you when I was going to Macedonia, remain at Ephesus that you may charge certain persons not to teach any different doctrine..." (1 Timothy 1:3)
"And embarking in a ship of Adramyttium, which was about to sail to the ports along the coast of Asia, we put to sea, accompanied by Aristarchus, a Macedonian from Thessalonica." (Acts 27:2 )

No comments: